The realtime model is lite enough to be used in games and apps. Whereas the high resolution model can be used for cinematic close-up to wide shots.
The scene is setup such that all animation is performed on the realtime model, this information is then automatically propagated to the high resolution model for rendering. No further setup is required by the user.
The animation file (giraffe03.blend) consists of a particular setup with both realtime and high resolution meshes within the same scene. Regardless of the final output be that, realtime applications to high quality cinema; interaction, editing, animation and rendering is always performed on the realtime model.
The following setup can be accessed through the realtime model's modifier stack,
- The realtime model is setup to subdivide (through the Subdivision surface Modifier) at rendertime. Increasing subdivisions here will allow the realtime model to more closely match the look of the sculpted model.
- Vertices generated through subdivision will match surface points of the high resolution, sculpted model through the Shrinkwrap Modifier.
- Deformation is then performed on the model through the Armature modifier.
- Dynamic, secondary animation can be baked into the model with the Soft Body modifier. The soft body modifier is by default placed at the top of the modifier stack and disabled. To activate the modifier either "Apply" or delete the Subdivision Surface modifier, then move the Soft Body modifier to one position above the Particle modifier.
- The Particle modifier should be the last node in the stack and is used to control the giraffe's hair. By default Hair Dynamics is turned on for secondary animation of the hair.
The product comes equipped with the noted configuration and no further setup is required to render the giraffe in a run-cycle. Just open the file, set your render destination and render the animation.
Five layers are in use within the scene,
- Layer  has the high resolution sculpt mesh (linked externally). Place the giraffeSculpt and giraffe03 blends within the same folder to avoid missing linked data,
- Layer  has the armature,
- Layer  has ground-plane, lights and camera,
- Layer  has the realtime model,
- Layer  consists of widgets for animation.
Of these layers 5 and 14 are most significant for animation, editing and rendering. Other layers are more closely related to scene setup.
If you need any further details, get in touch and I'll be happy to help you out.